Looking for a good alternative for strollers? Well here are our picks for the best wagons for kids.
When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The last thing you want to do at the beach is trying to keep agitated kiddos calm. That goes for more than just the beach, it also applies to farmers markets, picnics, amusement parks, zoo visits, walks in the park, and really any other outdoor adventure at all.
Strollers are often times great solutions to this problem, but many times they don’t actually help. The truth is that strollers are not only less practical but also way less fun.
Strollers are less practical because they are typically harder to maneuver and have FAR less carrying capacity compared to wagons, and it is a well-known fact that kids begin to dislike strollers when they grow out of their toddler years.
It is difficult to say exactly why kids grow to dislike strollers, but the most reasonable answer would be that they associate strollers with younger, less independent children, and they would not want to be mistaken for “a baby”.
Wagons in the past were typically large four-wheeled trailers used primarily to transport goods from one place to another.
They were used a lot by the original settlers of North America, and continue to be used today, although in a different way. Fortunately, we have come a very long way from towing around 2,000-pound wooden trailers with oxen, and now, wagons are designed to be used for more recreational purposes.
In recent years, using a wagon as an alternative to a stroller has exploded in popularity. There is one simple reason for this, wagons are better. They are more customizable, easier to use, more enjoyable, and (thanks to recent innovations in folding technology) can all fit in the back of your car.
Due to the recent spike in wagon use, manufacturers have provided more options to choose from in order to meet the growing demand. Of all the options, we have narrowed it down to the overall best, best folding wagon, and best stroller wagon.
IN A HURRY? HERE’S OUR TOP PICKS!
|Top||WONDERFOLD W4 4 Seater Multi-Function Quad Stroller Wagon with Removable Raised Seats and Slidable Canopy, Gray||Check Price!|
|Top||Radio Flyer 3-In-1 EZ Folding, Outdoor Collapsible Wagon for Kids & Cargo, Red||Check Price!|
|Top||Keenz Stroller Wagon – 7S Pull/Push Wagon Stroller – Safe and Secure Baby & Big Kids Wagon with Canopy & Other Accessories Included – Versatile Wagon Stroller Ideal for Special Needs, Grey||Check Price!|
1. WONDERFOLD W4 Wagon
- GREAT FOR OUTDOORS – Baby bags. Booster seats. Strollers. Sometimes, taking our little ones on the go with us is nearly impossible! Luckily, our heavy-duty WonderFold Multi-Function Four Passenger Wagon is travel-friendly and carries up to 300 pounds. With high face to face seats, this stroller wagon holds up to 4 toddlers and makes it easy to take the entire family to the park, beach, campsite, and more!
- DURABLE & COLLAPSIBLE – Our user-friendly design makes this wagon easily foldable with minimal assembly required. The one-step folding design allows you to fold and store your WonderFold Wagon in seconds. All seats can be easily removed to transform the stroller wagon into a utility wagon perfect for sports equipment, camping gear, and luggage.
- SAFETY HARNESS AND PUSH HANDLE – Our wagon is designed with 5-point safety harnesses, a front zipper door for childrens easy access, and a deep carriage with mesh panels for increased ventilation. When little ones are in the basket, the user-friendly push handle makes it easy to keep an eye on them while youre on the move.
- CANOPY & COMFORT – This wagon comes with a slidable and removable UV protected canopy for ultimate comfort in various weather conditions.
- SAFE & REPUTABLE – Our easy one-step foot brake keeps this wagon safe by securely locking rear wheels while its idle. Plus, heavy-duty 8-inch front wheels with suspension and bearings and 10-inch rear wheels make for smooth maneuvering and comfortable rides. Our tires never require pumping, making this U.S. Patented collapsible wagon the hassle-free solution to your travelling woes.
This is our pick for overall best wagon for kids.
Of every model of a wagon, there is, the WONDERFOLD W4 is by far the best. Its safety, durability, versatility, and comfort blow every other wagon out of the water.
The designers of the W4 incorporate an easy one-step foot brake that keeps the wagon from rolling by securely locking the rear wheels while it’s parked as well as, 2 5-point harnesses as added safety features. Durable 8-inch front wheels with suspension and 10-inch rear wheels as well as a removable canopy make for very smooth handling and very pleasant rides.
In addition, the wagon’s seats can be flipped down to create enough room to fit up to 300 pounds of any type of gear at all. Possibly the most appealing feature of this wagon is its folding ability, the design allows for it to be folded down very quickly and very easily so that it can squeeze into small trunks while being transported.
This is the most expensive item on the list, but it is well worth the high price point. You should buy this wagon if you want the best of the best and you are not too concerned about being half a grand short.
WONDERFOLD W4 Wagon Video Review:
2. Radio Flyer 3-In-1 EZ Folding Wagon
- 3 WAGONS IN 1: this collapsible wagon has 3 riding features: hauling, 2 rider seating and bench seating. Easily transform from hauling to bench seating with the zippers on the side of the wagon.
- FOLDS FOR STORAGE: easy one hand fold allows convenient storage. This wagon is portable and can be stored or taken anywhere! Folded wagon dimensions: 7 L x 18.50 W x 32.68 H inches.
- SAFE FOR KIDS: Radio Flyer wagons pass the ASTM-f963-13 toy safety standard. This wagon includes seat belts and a UV protection canopy to protect your little ones from the sun.
- STORAGE CAPACITY: the wagon can haul up to 150 lbs. of kids or cargo! It also includes a rear storage pouch to store the canopy in when not in use and two front cup holders.
- SPECIFICATIONS: Assembled product dimensions: 39” x 18.5” x 32.7”. Recommended for kids 1 ½+ years. Maximum weight capacity 150 l
This is our pick for best folding wagon for kids.
Radio Flyer is a nostalgic brand for many of us, but in order to make it onto our list, it has to provide more than just nostalgia, which is exactly what the Radio Flyer 3-in-1 EZ Fold Wagon does. This is the best folding wagon because, of any wagon, it is the easiest to fold up and folds up to be the smallest of any wagon.
The 3-in-1 EZ fold (as you already probably guessed from the title) is also very versatile; it can be used for hauling, 2 rider seating, and bench seating. You can easily convert from hauling to bench seating by using the zippers on the side of the wagon.
This wagon also includes seatbelts and a canopy for a safer, more enjoyable ride. This also happens to be the cheapest wagon on this list and would make a great choice if you are on a budget.
You should buy this wagon if you are in need of a wagon that can fit into a small trunk or other small areas.
Radio Flyer 3-in-1 EZ Fold Wagon Video Review:
3. Keenz 7S Stroller Wagon
- VERSATILE STROLLER WAGON: Keenz Stroller Wagons are designed with the active family in mind - use the 7S pull/push wagon stroller for trips to the park or beach, sporting events, family outings, and more.
- SAFE, SECURE STROLLER: Designed to grow with your family and last for years, the 7S has two adjustable 5-point harnesses for safely transporting children, while they sit, watch or play. With 3 adjustable heights on both sides for the 5-point harnesses, Keenz Stroller Wagons are designed to work as a baby wagon stroller and grow with you into a stroller for big kids.
- UTILITY WAGON: Kids need lots of stuff, and a Keenz stroller wagon makes it easy to transport it all! The deep body wagon stroller has a 110lb capacity and space for toys, snacks, clothes and kids!
- DURABLE & LIGHTWEIGHT: Made from 1.6mm aluminum, the stroller wagon weighs just 32lb and folds easily for storage and transportation. The baby wagon stroller has 1 step brakes and adjustable handles.
- PRACTICAL FEATURES: The pull or push wagon stroller has drapes and built in shoe storage, and the stroller wagon comes with a cup holder, grey cooler bag, canopy storage bag, and storage cov
This is our pick for best stroller wagon for kids.
If you like wagons but are not ready to give up your favorite aspects of strollers, you should definitely look into buying a hybrid. Of all the hybrids out there, the Keenz 7S is the best.
It is made of lightweight aluminum and is very easy to fold up for transportability, it has 5-point harnesses on both sides for safety, it has heavy-duty wheels and a sun canopy for comfort, and it can be either pulled like a wagon or pushed like a stroller.
You should buy this wagon if you want a great wagon that can also be used as a stroller and you aren’t afraid of the higher price tag.
Keenz 7S Wagon Video Review:
Questions and Answers
What kind of activities are wagons good for?
Wagons are great for camping trips, zoo visits, walks in the park, sporting events, family outings, and most other outdoor adventures without too harsh terrain.
Are wagons safe for babies?
It depends on what wagon you get. Wagons are typically not especially safe for very young babies, but in the end, it all depends on what wagon you decide to get.
Are wagons cool?
It is difficult to answer the question “Are wagons cool?” because people’s opinions vary. That being said, many young parents and children find it cooler to use a wagon as opposed to a stroller.